Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How Can You Take the Bible Literally?


Here's a question I have been asked many times as a Jewish evangelist.  How can I possibly accept Scripture at face value in light of all the scientific evidence that exists today that obviously proves otherwise.  I have been on the mission field and heard the arguments that the Torah (Mosaic Law) was not written by Moses, but instead by one of Ezra's contemporaries.  Then there is the debate that there were two Isaiah's', not one.  Creation of course could never have happened in six days if the universe is billions of years old...and the rhetoric goes on and on.  Earlier in my witnessing career I dreaded people who would bring up these issues, but to be honest, I have come to enjoy hearing some of these tirades, for I have found these subjects to be openings for testimony.

Yet, the questions remains, how can I stay a Biblical literalist when so many other mainstream Christians have not?  The answer is simple...faith.  I trust in God, I trust in His Son, I trust in the Holy Spirit, I trust in the Word, I trust that what He says as the Truth plain and simple.  Let me share with you a little secret of the ministry world.  Many preachers spend long hours pouring over Bible translations and commentaries in hopes of finding some lost meaning or defining aspect to the Word of God.  Yet when you take the Bible literally you no longer need to do this for you have now removed the responsibility of worrying about commentaries from your hands.  For now you only need one book to understand Scripture, and that is Scripture.  Apple means apple.  Virgin means virgin.  Hell means hell.  There is no longer and need to search for hidden analogies.  When there are analogies, and there are in Scripture, the Bible will show you signals.  Thus, as long as you know what signals to look for, you are prepared to read the truth with God's commentary in hand.  How awesome is that?

That is how I can remain a literalist.  So called scientific theories are just that theories.  Not one of them has ever been proven by through the scientific model, thus they remain theories.  Scientists should be ashamed of themselves for calling them facts!  On the other hand, nothing has ever been proven false from Scripture.  I will take the Word of God any day!

 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  Heb 11:1 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment