Saturday, February 16, 2013

I am a Jew, part 2



Who am I?

I am a Jew.  I was born and raised Jewish, secular or non-practicing, but still Jewish.  I lived and grew up as a “good Jewish boy.”  Most of my friends and neighbors on the block were Jewish and my family lived in a community (Lathrup Village, Michigan) in which many other Jewish families lived.  My Bubbie (Yiddish for grandma) and aunts who had escaped the Holocaust in Poland and Russia at the beginnings of World War II spoke often in Yiddish.  I was taken out of Hebrew school early so I never had a Bar Mitzvah, but I would have had one otherwise.  I guess in retrospect that the only events in my life that were not Jewish were that some of the girls I had a romantic interest in my youth were non-Jewish, I ended up married to a Gentile, and that my wedding ceremony was secular, being performed by a Circuit Court Judge of Appeals.  Yet today, I feel more Jewish than ever before.   I feel and connect with other Jews around the world in a form of solidarity.  Though I have never been there, Israel is my homeland and I empathize with the plight of many of my brothers and sisters in the Holy Land.  Now after all of these statements about of me being Jewish, can there be any doubt of who and what I am?  To be honest, unless you know me, I would have a hard time believing it.  Yet there is one statement that may make you change your mind.  A statement that will make you forget everything I have previously said about myself.  Ready?  I believe in my body, mind, heart, and to the core of my soul that the man known as Yeshua Ben Yosef or Jesus son of Joseph was and is the Jewish Messiah.

So what does this mean?  Am I no longer Jewish and a full-fledged Christian?  Am I now a Gentile?  Am I part of some sort of hybrid between the two?  Am I part of some strange and twisted cult?  Or is what I follow and believe part of Scripture?  I guess the answer will really depend upon who is reading this.  If you are a Jew, and I am speaking of Rabbinical Jews, I am sure it means that I have converted to a new religion forsaking the old, becoming an apostate.  They may think I am a hypocrite, a fool, or even a traitor.  If you are a secular Jew and you don’t believe in the spiritual and religious side of Judaism then it may mean that I am attempting to make a happy medium between my wife’s religion and my own?  If you are a member of my family you might even consider this a form of betrayal against the memory of my elders.  Yet for me it changes nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  I am still Jewish.  The only thing that has changed is the definitions of what Jews and Christians were 2000 years ago and what they are today.



It is amazing how we define words.  What was once the common definition for a word can easily change over time.  Now, I hardly claim knowledge in regards to this field of study.  To be honest, I am not even sure what the subject is called (possibly linguistics), and I can only guess as to how it may work; yet I know that time changes language.  It was this scenario that occurred with Jews and Gentiles of the past two millennial   David Chernoff, one of my favorite Messianic Jewish authors, wrote of this subject in his book Yeshua the Messiah by saying, “What began historically and biblical as a Jewish faith has been transformed in the years after His life into what is perceived today as a “non-Jewish” faith, with Yeshua Himself being perceived as being “non-Jewish.” (Chernoff 14)  Note Chernoff’s use of the word perceived, for this is the exact point I am attempting to make, for perception is the key of defining who we are and the way people see us.  The same theorem also applies to the terms Christian and Jew.  In the years after Jesus’ death nobody questioned that the believers of Him were Jewish.  After all, the early church was a Jewish church, that is historical fact. Actually, according to the Apostle Paul’s letters to the Romans and Galatians, many followers of Yeshua felt that you actually had to convert to Judaism to become a true believer.  Yet today the opposite is true.  To believe in Jesus today is defined as non-Jewish and that is what Christianity has come to be known as, the Gentile (non-Jewish) faith in Jesus.  Today, Replacement Theories are abounding in the Gentile Christian world.  This false theory states that the Jews had their chance at the Messiah and they blew it, therefore Yeshua is no longer the Jews Messiah, but the Gentiles who are the new Israel.  Sounds pretty spoiled doesn’t it?  It sometimes gets even worse when many Gentile scholars continue to change many historical facts including those of an ancient Jewish sects like the Essene’s who created the Dead Sea Scrolls.  This religious group is now being portrayed as budding Christians instead of Ultra-Orthodox Jews who isolated themselves from other Jews.  The Essene’s sole purpose of their xenophobic behavior was to protect themselves from Israel’s emerging Hellenistic lifestyles as well as protecting their own purity which they felt would be damaged by the receiving of any self gratification or pleasure which they deemed as sinful. 

Partly due to these false theories, being a Jewish believer has become an enigma to both Rabbinical Jews and Gentile Christians.  For some reason it is wrong to be a Jewish Christian today.  Chernoff says it perfectly when he states, “This is particularly ironic in the light of the fact that Yeshua was Jewish, as were His disciples, all the writers of the New Covenant (Testament), the apostles and all of Yeshua’s initial followers!!!” (Chernoff 5)  Karen Armstrong, the highly acclaimed theologian and author of the book, A History of God: The 4000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, also spoke of this evolving aspect of the Christian religion when she wrote,

His [Yeshua] disciples believed that he would return to inaugurate the Messianic kingdom of God, and, since there was nothing heretical about such a belief, their sect was accepted as authentically Jewish by no less than Rabbi Gamaliel, the grandson of Hillel and one of the greatest of the tannamin [Rabbi creators of the Mishnah].  His followers worshiped in the Temple every day as fully observant Jews.  Ultimately, however, the New Israel, inspired by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, would become a Gentile faith, which would evolve its own distinctive conception of God (p. 79-80). 

It is also important to note that the term “Christian” was originally used to describe a certain sect of Jewish followers of Yeshua, not Gentile.  It was only after the Temple destruction in 70 A.D., and the Jewish revolt in Israel 125 A.D., which began the Diaspora (Dispersion, Exile), that the definition of the word changed.  In that time period the term would have fit quite easily into a list of sects at that time: Pharisees, Sadducees, Zealots, Christians, Hasidim, etc.

I find it extremely ironic that when many people think of Yeshua today, they picture Him as a young Caucasian tanned and clean, with His brown hair and beard kept nice and neat.  Yeshua is often depicted wearing long and elegant looking white or scarlet robes and wearing an outer garment of the same color.  Does anybody truly think that this is what the historical Yeshua would have appeared like?  By all accounts Yeshua and all of His 12 disciples were fanatical Orthodox Jews.  Being Orthodox Jews and by the fact that Yeshua followed Torah or the Law to the letter, it is logical that they would have all been attired as Orthodox Jews.  They each would have worn tallits (prayer shawls) and the other accouterments worn by the Orthodox (i.e. phylacteries).  As they were travelers of long distances they would have most often been dust covered with their legs and feet covered in grime and muck.  Being born in Israel, Yeshua would not have been a Caucasian at all, but would have had the features and coloring of most individuals in that region.  His Semite coloring would have included dark hair, most likely black or very dark brown.  His skin would have been naturally dark instead of a tanned white.  As I said in part one of this blog that people see what they want to see, not necessarily by what is true, even if the evidence proves it.  The evidence for Yeshua’s appearance has existed for hundreds of years, yet people still wish to see him resemble themselves as close as possible.  A great example of this is some of the depiction’s I have seen of Yeshua as an African-American or even as a Latino.  Let us set the matter straight, Yeshua was a born and bred Israeli and He would have appeared so.  


So now that we have an understanding of who Yeshua was and they way the term Christian was meant to be defined we need to know how I define myself.  I am and like to be known as a Jewish Christian or a Hebrew Christian.  I consider the term Christian to have three meanings.  The first connotation is the technical sense of the word; to be a Christian means to be a follower of Christ.  In that aspect of the word that is exactly what I am.  In the second definition, to be a Christian means to be a Gentile believer in Christ.  In the third meaning it is defined as a non-Jew.  So which holds true for me?  Definitely definition one, but never two or three! 
So where does this lead us?  To the term so many Jewish believers love, being a Completed Jew.  After all, we feel that we are the completion of centuries of messianic prophecy.  We feel we are the “Remnant of the Children of Israel” spoken by Paul in Romans 11:1-5.  We are those have remained faithful to the Lord.  We live in the Time of the Gentiles, the Temple no longer stands, the temple grounds are trampled upon everyday by our enemies, and we have become Isaiah and Ezekiel’s get and the prophets’ fulfillment of their predicted future events.  Now, as previously mentioned; perception is the key to defining the term.  Therefore, I perceive myself to be a Hebrew or a Completed Jew, while other may simply see me as just a Jew, others may consider me a false Jew.  Yet notice, I am still a Jew. 

So can the issue of my Jewishness be disputed any further?  Of course, there are always varying opinions, yet ask yourself a set of questions.  Where the Jewish followers of the false- messiah Bar-Kochba (son of a star), false Messiah who led the revolt that resulted the destruction of Jerusalem in 125 A.D., he has never been considered being non-Jewish, even by other Jews who acknowledged him as a false Messiah.   How about those Babylonian Jews who believed the Persian king, Cyrus, to be the Messiah?  Where the Jews who broke off and formed the sect known as the Essene’s, who created the Dead Sea Scrolls ever considered non-Jews?  If they were not, then neither should we believers of Messiah Jesus.  After all some Jews are Zionists while others are not.  Some Jews are Humanistic and do not even believe in the Messiah as an individual, only as a concept and a philosophical argument, yet they are still Jewish.  If they are, then so are we.  So add a new term to the list: Jew, Orthodox Jew, Chasidic Jew, Conservative Jew, Reform Jew, Humanistic Jew, Messianic Jew, Hebrew Jew, etc.



Be Sure to Check Us out on our Facebook page at: